Finally got to the new Star Trek movie yesterday. Lots of eye candy in many ways. The effects were awesome. Using CG along with existing facilities (I suspect a refinery was used as the backdrop for the spaceport early in the movie) was very well done. I have some questions, though (outside of the usual, "how does on jump 50 feet to a lower level and manage to not become injured?"):
- How did a "mining vessel" get such extraordinary weapons that it could defeat a Federation starship?
- Why did it take Nero 25 years to get to Earth.
- Why was Earth unprepared? The Federation knew of this threat since the Kelvin incident.
- What self-respecting Captain of a Federation Starship makes a wayward cadet on his first voyage the First Officer?
- What self-respecting defense force then takes that cadet and makes him Captain of the flagship?