Saturday, January 31, 2009

Obamanomics - TARP Redone?

The Beer: Running quite low. I'm out of the Liberty Ale (fitting that it ran out on inauguation night). Less than 12 bottles of both the Winter Ale and the Cranberry Wheat. Must...Brew.....Beer.

The Bicycle: The trainer just isn't the same as being on the road. I gauge Spring by two criteria: First, pitchers and catchers report for Spring Training in mid-February and second, whatever day I can first get out on the road without getting frostbite. Both clear signs that spring is near.

The VRWC: If the "new" stimulus package from the House is any indication, hang on to your wallet. Now, I'm in agreement that the TARP package needs to be overhauled. No problem. I think I like the "Bad Bank" idea as well, but the jury is still out. This concerns me, though:

"And we will insist on unprecedented transparency, rigorous oversight and clear accountability so taxpayers know how their money is being spent and whether it is achieving results."

There is nothing in the first 10 days of this Administration that indicates this statement is true. The Geithner and Daischel episodes indicate that ethics and transparency aren't as important as political expediency. I'm willing to give the benefit...for now. But don't tell me....show me.

No comments: