Friday, January 1, 2010

Recipe for Failure?

The Beer: The Irish Red is bottled and I brew an amber lager tomorrow

The Bicycle: Working on strength and flexibility through yoga and strength programs. Where, you ask? Wii Fit Plus. Seriously.

The VRWC: I work in the Environmental, Health and Safety business. I have a degree in Engineering and professional certification. I think OSHA is making a huge error.

The standard leftist viewpoint is that business is bad and labor is good. This is what Secretary Solis seems to bring to the table.

Soon after she became the nation's labor secretary, Hilda Solis warned corporate America there was "a new sheriff in town."

Less than a year into her tenure, that figurative badge of authority is unmistakable. Her aggressive moves to boost enforcement and crack down on businesses that violate workplace safety rules have sent employers scrambling to make sure they are following the rules.

Are there bad actors out there? You bet...I have worked for them. But I have found most employers follow the rules..or at least want to. I've also found that the road to success is in building trust relationships. I hate the term, but it fits. Having the trust of your partners and treating them as partners in whatever the endeavour might be is much more likely to result in success. OTOH, being "The New Sheriff", or as I like to refer to it, "Safety Cop" or as some of my partners affectionatlely refer to it, "Safety Bitch", ulitmately leads to failure.

Solis slapped BP with the largest fine in OSHA history. Good...they deserved it for willfully failing to protect their workers. How hard will she slap the mom-and-pop shop that can't afford a full-time Safety guy to handle recordkeeping and screw up? More small businesses go down? OSHA outreach programs have been incredibly successful. Why eliminate them? Why not "walk softly and carry a big stick"?

No comments: