Here's how you respond to reasoned debate if you're a Lefty:
- Use terms like "neo-con" and "elitist".
- Make sure you don't recognize your own stand as "elitist".
- Make sure to post, "Grin. I was only raising the question, Owen." Isn't that, "I'm just sayin' "?
- Challenge your opponent to debate in a public forum, "over coffee". Preferably at your academic institution where you know you will have a sympathetic audience.
- Call Free Market, "Corporate Welfare". Remember, you've never held a job in the private sector, but being in academia, you are, "The Great Oz", so you know these things.
So, don't challenge the position; change the subject. Use name-calling and, "I'm just sayin' ". It's a no lose.