Tuesday, April 29, 2008

They Got It Right (Correct, that is)

Even John Paul Stevens believes there is no problem with Voter ID. Souter, Kennedy and Darth Vader Ginsburg (sorry, she's really scary) think it disenfranchises. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel sided with the minority, saying, "there the justices had to ignore who are most likely not to have photo IDs. That would be the elderly, the poor and minority groups, folks who tend to vote Democratic."

OK. Who are these people? I want specific instances. I am willing to take them to a location where they can obtain an ID and I'm even willing to pay for it (alright, you have to live in the greater Milwaukee area). That's how few people I believe are impacted by this. Prove me wrong.

On the other hand, I can tell you who is disenfranchised by having no voter ID. I am. My wife is. My kids are. You are. EVERYONE IS! Any time a vote is cast fraudulently, everyone, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Green, or "other" is disenfranchised. A fraudulent vote dilutes every other vote.

The argument goes that people who can't get voter ID are largely Democrat voters. I'd argue that those who vote fraudulently are largely Democrat voters as well. Having voted on Milwaukee's predominantly Leftist East Side, I can tell you Democrats intimidate, slash tires and use other means to prevent Republicans from voting. I can also tell you that, historically, Democrats have been more than happy to have the "fraud vote". LBJ in 1964. Chicago anytime. "Walking-around money" out East. Fraud largely comes to an end with Voter ID. That's why Wisconsin's Governor and Leftists oppose it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, and let's not forgot those "cigarettes for votes"! Great post, and welcome to the Badger Blogosphere! I'll add you to my blogroll (Sheboygan Shenanigans).