Friday, April 25, 2008

TGIF

And the end of (breathlessly, now) "Earth Week".

I can see the conspirators now:

"Ethanol...consumes more energy than it gives up....check.....results in starvation in the
Third World.....check.....actually INCREASES pollution from cars....CHECK!!!!

Can someone tell me what enviro-whacko end-of-the-world scenario has come true? Seems like everything they've done has caused more harm than good. Since we can't drill for our own oil, national interest resides in the Middle East. Two wars, many dead (don't misunderstand me, I support the intervention). There's more than enough oil to support our needs under our own property in the form of oil shale to support our needs for a long time. Off our coasts, too. Plenty of nuclear, too. But ya know...can't do that, either. And coal.....well, the Sierra Club has decided to fight new plants with every weapon at their disposal. But at the same time, let's all use CFL bulbs. I don't know....call me crazy, but if the EPA is telling me to bring in a HAZMAT team if I break one, maybe I should think twice? I'm going out on a limb here, but I forsee a crisis in our future. One that involves landfills, groundwater and mercury. Let's add another here for ethanol. 400 gallons of water to make one gallon of ethanol? While RFK Jr., the current Godfather of environmentalism is decrying the lack of water in the Colorado River (you know, he and his uber-rich family used to play there and their future uber-rich progeny may not get to).

There are days when I feel like I'm in some kind of good-is-bad, bad-is-good Bizzaro-World. I admit to being completely lost in the tidal wave of enviro-mania which has engulfed the world. As long as we think it's enviro-friendly, it is? In spite of what a modicum of common sense tells us? A decade or two ago, we fretted about deforestation. Now we don't care because growing ethanol crops is better? I could be wrong here, but I seem to recall a move to ban fluorescent bulbs many years ago because of their mercury content. It was bad to use paper bags....trees again, you know. Now paper is better? 800 (ok, maybe not quite that many) studies indicating no problem with plastics leaching BPA. One study shows rats may not particularly do well with BPA and we're banning plastic world-wide?

IS ANYBODY GOING TO SHOW SOME COMMON SENSE HERE?

No comments: