Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day 2011

Today we honor those who have fallen on the field of battle.  I have always understood what Memorial Day is about.  When I was a child, the family always went to the parade and memorial at the park.  Speeches were given in front of the band shell near a flagpole where, on the base, were plaques bearing the names of the fallen from various wars.  After, the parade led to the local cemetery where prayers were spoken (and unspoken) and the survivors were left to privately reflect on their friends and loved ones who gave their all.

During the height of the Vietnam War - probably about 1969 - as we entered the cemetery, we were "greeted" by the sight of anti-war protesters singing "Give Peace a Chance".  I recall how my mother and sister argued over the appropriateness of the actions.  This may have been the biggest fight I witnessed between them.  But at the age of about 13, I recognized that this was not the time or place for this type of action.  We had come to honor those who died, not to glorify war.  Indeed, those who would glorify war are no better than those who protest.  At that moment, I began my maturity into Conservatism.  I remain on that road to this day.

Remember those who died for us and honor them.

1 comment:

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

Our path was chosen by those who gave everything for us. I too honored Memorial Day at my blog. We honor those who volunteered to protect us from the ugliest the world has to offer.