Saturday, November 18, 2017

I Never Expected To Be Here

The Beer:  Shiner Ruby Redbird.

The Bicycle:  It may be necessary to sell one or more to stay afloat.

The VRWC:  I don't normally talk about my situation, but at this point, I don't know how much it really matters.

Just over a year ago, I was fired from a six-figure job for reasons that remain unclear.  I had just turned 60.  Our department was successful in our mission.  I was sent off to perform audits autonomously at company field sites and there was no indication I had done a less-than-satisfactory job.  What was used against me were things that were documented as having no bearing on performance.  I'was stripped of my severance and sent out to fend for myself.    I have applied to many positions well within my experience, all to no avail.  I have worked as an Uber driver (which I really enjoy, but will never pay the mortgage), a mechanic at a boat shop, a project manager for a concrete construction company and a septic tank inspector.   I can't even get a callback for a job in my field.  I'm not going to cry "discrimination", though all the evidence points that way.  

Anyway, I am down to my last $100 or so with no prospects for a bailout.  My savings and what retirement remained after my divorce are expended.  There is nowhere to go and no option but to sell everything.  And that is only a temporary solution.  I need a job with a steady paycheck.  

3 comments:

Dad29 said...

We went through that. Not an identical story, but the same end. Wound up foreclosed and renting, and even that was on thin ice before I took my current slot. Making about 35-40% of what I did in the late '90's/early '00's, but actually comfortable.

You may be doing something--as I am--which is entirely new and foreign to you. The 'break-in' period is tough, but if you're working for genuinely good people, they'll drag you through to reasonable success.

Meantime, have you been in touch with this guy: http://www.captainsjournal.com/ ? He's a nuke-engineer of some sort, in the Carolinas. Might be worth a shot.

todd said...

Happened by your blog after clicking on Woodstermans blog. Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Hope something good comes your way. Happy Thankgiving to YOU 😎

todd said...

Happened by your blog after clicking on Woodstermans blog. Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Hope something good comes your way. Happy Thankgiving to YOU 😎