Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Reparations in Evanston, IL

The Beer:  Michalob Ultra.  I know I could lose my man card, but it's a risk I will take.

The Bicycle:  It was a very cool May and June is starting off the same.  Wish I was healthy enough to ride.

The VRWC:  From "Bloomberg Equality + Newsweek", Evanston, Illinois, one of the most left wing cities in the US and maybe the world has promised reparations to Blacks in the city.  I expect a healthy influx from Chicago.

Apparently, the bar has moved.  These reparations are not for slavery (no doubt because the slavery argument was absurd on its face), but for "other" affronts.  "Jim Crow", "Redlining" and others definitely happened.  But here's the deal:  I didn't do it and consequently, I shouldn't be penalized.  Further, there is a court system for these kinds of things.  For a city to unilaterally decide reparations is a good idea is a *bad* idea.  But we have allowed this kind of behavior from City Government for a long time.  I don't see anything in the article about a referendum or city-wide discussions regarding reparations.  To only accept input from one group on such a matter is taxation without representation.  

But the devil is in the details.  Where will this money come from?  Obviously, higher taxes.  But will only whites be taxed for these funds?  Will there be a "Reparations Tax" applicable to only whites?  And who gets reparations and who doesn't?  If this program reflects others of the same variety, friends will get rich and "not friends" will get nothing.  But rich, old-money white liberals in Evanston don't care about any of this.  They only care that they feel better.

No comments: