Saturday, June 12, 2021

Permanent Drought?

 The Beer:  It is so hot that any cold beverage will do.  Welcome to Texas in June.

The Bicycle:  It breaks my heart, but I am selling my pre-Raleigh Univega Modovincere.  We saw a lot of miles together.  I still have my trust Trek and if my foot ever gets fixed, I will be back on the road.  Promise.

The VRWC:  The west is in a severe drought.  Make no mistake about it.  But let's look at rainfall vs. average for Western States:

Colorado 2020: 18.25", Average: 15.5

Nevada 2020: 13.15" Average: 9.5"

California 2020: 25.95" Average 22.2"

Arizona 2020: 13.64"  Average:  13.6"

Utah 2020: 16.2"  Average 12.2"


So what gives?  Severe drought with above average rainfall?  It appears 5-year rainfalls have been mostly above average as well.  Why is there a drought?  I don't know, but I can make some pretty good guesses.  

1)  Rainfall runoff is diverted for "environmental reasons".  We know the Sacremento River was diverted from the Central Valley to the ocean to save some baitfish that likely would have been fine anyway.  We also know that a minimum flow rate has been required for the Colorado downstream of Hoover and Glen Canyon Dams.  The claim is that it restores the eco-system.  Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but the practice has resulted in a lowering level in Lakes Mead and Lake Powell for decades now.

2) Population.  Especially the growth in Arizona is taxing the water systems.  Southern California is also a water hog.

I believe much of this drought is man-made and especially government made.

No comments: