Sunday, July 13, 2008

Big Sigh

The Beer: I went to transfer the Belgian yesterday, opened it up and found the fermentation to be incomplete. I can wait.

The Bicycle: Decided to give the ride a break today and watch "Le Tour". It was wet yesterday morning, but I rode (carefully) anyway. Port Loop in just a hair over two hours. Hot and humid the next few days. I'm probably foolish for not riding today, but it's not like I'm in competition.

The VRWC: I'm resigned to continued Democrat political dominance, no energy policy and governement-run healthcare. The Leftys continue to find like-minded judges to stop any kind of drilling, the Dems and their media thralls continue to lie about available petroleum in the US and off our coasts. They use the same arguement to deny drilling as they use to promote energy sources that will never be viable for other than niche applications. For the last 40 years, we've been "one breakthrough away" from controlled fusion. It hasn't happened and probably never will (at least not in my lifetime). What's to believe about "cellulosic ethanol is only 5-10 years away"? Why wouldn't we use proven technologies while we look for alternatives (although I would argue that alternatives are not even necessary. Nuclear power is safe and proven effective for 50+ years now. Reprocessing used fuel can provide more than enough energy for several hundred years. But let's not talk about that.).

I'm also resigned to the public having a herd mentality and an equal degree of stupidity. There's no indication that humans have ever, as a group, looked at anything with a critical eye.

In the words of Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles, "I am depressed".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In the words of Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles, "I am depressed".

Sigh.

Me, too. But let's remember Winston Churchill's sage advice, too: "Never, never, never quit".