Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Apocalypse Is Upon Us

Eugene Kane and I agree on something.

In this morning's column in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Mr. Kane discusses the topic of why Black boys don't get a good education.  If I am going to excoriate Mr. Kane in the past for what I considered race-baiting, I should give him credit when I see truth.

The premise is that Black boys do not get a good education because education is not a priority in their home.  To me, that has always been a no-brainer.  Look around you.  Nearly anyone who is chronically impoverished is also poorly educated.  It is the rare case where you see a PhD on food stamps.  Why are people uneducated when there is free K-12 schooling in this country?  No one of an intelligence above "impaired" (I can't think of another term at this point - it's still too early) should be uneducated.

So, Eugene Kane has identified the problem and we are in agreement.  What is the solution in the Black community?  Herein lies the main problem.  Generations of Black families in the 'hood are now uneducated and do not see education as a priority.  How is that overcome?  It is a problem for all of us, but I suggest only Black leadership will solve it; that part of Black society has long ago stopped listening to what Whitey had to say.

So, what are we left with?  Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and the rest of the "poverty pimps"?

No comments: